Committee for Rights to housing (CRH) is a housing rights organization based in Mumbai. It came into existence in 1985 in response to widespread demolition and violation of housing rights of the poor in the city.
CRH believes that housing is the basic human right, which is very closely related to right to life guaranteed by the Indian Constitution under Article 21. It believes that processes of development that result in involuntary displacement of people should be questioned and resisted. In urban areas where displacement is rampant it becomes very necessary to assert the rights of the poor.
CRH through its multiprong strategies works at the grassroots level in association with CBOs, NGOs and with the communities aiming at political and human right education while searching for an alternative for establishing a right to the city, a right to participate and a right to govern.
CRH also comprises of a network of organizations
supporting them in making solid understanding about housing rights, educating
them through training programme and helping them at the time of
1. The main objective of CRH is to make a city inclusive for all its residents. Work towards making a city where all its residents have opportunities for livelihood, basic amenities, housing and security and participation in governance.
2. To realize these goals CRH would utilize the tools for documenting the trends of exclusion and building and strengthening struggles of the marginalized people on the issues of housing, demolition and eviction, basic amenities, livelihood and security.
3. Understanding and intervening in the housing issue in this manner requires an interdisciplinary approach: necessitating building alliance with various groups including planners, architects, lawyers, activists, academicians, trade unionists, media professionals etc.
4. Building and strengthening networks at the city, state and national level for advocacy and campaign on issues of exclusion of urban poor.
5. To set up an Urban Resource Center dedicated to collecting information, collecting data, examining and reexamining the findings in theoretical framework, disseminating information in readable format for concerted action.
CRH Mumbai History
Meet the Team